Last week I made headway with the bodice patterns for the girls’ costumes. This week, I was able to start sewing Mia’s mermaid costume.
I cut the bodice patterns
Sewed the side seams
Notice the mis-aligned hems…my fault, I didn’t walk the side seams. I’m gonna have to cut the front bodice hem to match the back. Sucks, but I already tried the bodice on Mia, and even if I cut the front hem, it’ll still be alright. Phew!!
I also attached a shirred tulle overlay on the center front. Emulating the shell bra that you see Ariel wear in the movie. I could have sewn an actual shell shaped piece, but that’s a lot of work, and I didn’t want the whole costume to be too literal.
Here’s the entire bodice…
I haven’t sewn the entire front yet, because I’m thinking of adding some type of ruffle trim along the princess seams. But that’s an idea, I might not do it. Just gonna have to play around with it.
And I haven’t turned the straps inside out yet. I think I’ll do that while watching an episode of Mad Men, hehe.
That’s where I’m at right now. I’m hoping to finish this bodice and start the bodice for Annalise’s bride costume. Crossing fingers!