In yesterday’s post, you may have seen the beautiful coffee filter flowers I made for Annalise’s birthday.
I got the idea from pinterest, and the tutorial from Aunt Peaches. The instructions are very easy to follow, and her pictures are just beautiful.
I bought coffee filters from the 99 Cents Only Store. There were 100 in one pack! And I followed Aunt Peaches’ steps for dying the filters: 3 tablespoons of craft paint, with a smidge of yellow, mixed with 1/2 cup of water until lumps disappear, add 2 cups of water and mix again, and submerge filters (20 at a time).
*On my first attempt, I submerged 20 filters at a time, and the color was very uneven. In the following attempts, I worked with 6 filters at a time, and submerged each one individually. The color came out more even and more saturated. This worked great for me. Do a trial first to see what works for you.
This is my laundry room, turned painting area, where I did all the dye work.
And these are my painted coffee filters just hanging out, waiting to dry
Here they are, all dry
Then I followed Aunt Peaches’ directions for a Simple Spiral Rose. I first cut out a spiral shape from the dried coffee filter. Then I ripped off a piece of masking tape approximately 16 in. *Aunt Peaches uses green painter’s tape, but I didn’t have any, so I used masking tape. It worked fine for me and for my color palette.
I then took the spiral cut filter and made pleats along one edge of the masking tape. *It will take a few attempts at this before you find your rhythm, so be patient.
She uses straws for the stem, but I didn’t have any, so I used kebob sticks for the stems.
I angled my kebob stick this way
And then started to wind the masking tape onto the stick
You’ll have to play around with it as you wind it around the stick, but eventually a flower will start to emerge
After lots of trial and errors, I found that pinching the edge of the tape as I wound the filter around the stick, helped a lot. Also, when you are winding it, wind the tape at an angle like you see above. This will help your “flower” to blossom.
When my flowers were finished, I cut the kebob stick to size and placed them in beautiful jars.
I used 2 coffee filters per flower, and they came out gorgeous, and just the right size. You can use more, but mine were just fine. After I got my rhythm going, it took me about 5-6 minutes to make one flower. The flowers turned out beautiful, and I will definitely do this again!
Here are the flowers again…Pin It