I was able to score a seat to yesterday’s FREE Alt Summit Class, “The ABC’s of SEO.” And boy was it mind boggling, to say the least!
There was a lot of information…a TON. Enough to make you second guess your blogging and marketing intentions. And I was just not going to allow myself to go down that road.
So instead, I decided to take away bits + pieces of knowledge here and there, and not go CRAY over everything….
1. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is not an overnight thing and you gotta keep at it. Don’t be lazy.
2. SEO first, then content – NOPE…not here, at Laid Off Mom. Yea, this may probably get me more followers & recognition faster, but it’s not how I do biz here! Every post on Laid Off Mom is original. My heart and soul goes into everything I do and talk about here…you won’t get anything less than that!
3. Find your niche + your voice – MOST DEFINITELY! Find out what you do best, where you fit in, and “speak” in an authentic voice. Hone in on you.
4. Socialize. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc… get out there and meet new people! Say hello, and you’ll get a HELLO back!
5. Be informed. Know where your readers are hailing from, how long they stay on your blog/website, what their demographics and behavior patterns are, how many hits you get a day, etc.. Do your homework so you know where you stand among the crowd.
A few free resources to help you stay informed:
Bing – Webmaster Tools
Bottom line, YES, by all means! Learn SEO and apply it to your site to make it more user and search friendly. But DON’T prioritize it above your content….in my opinion. People like to see originality, humanity, and hear a genuine voice. You can’t give them you, if you center your posts around keywords and SEO.
[ image ]